All Carthusia fragrances have a hidden yet indivisible bond with Capri.
Capri, the Italian island of dreams, has been an enchanting oasis since Roman times. Its natural beauty, sunny climate and innate glamour are legendary.
The story of Carthusia can be traced back to 1380 when the Father Prior of the Monastery of St. Giacomo was taken unawares by the news of the arrival on Capri of the Queen Giovanna D' Angio'. To welcome her, he made a flower arrangement with the most beautiful island flowers. The water was not changed for three days and, when the flowers were discarded, Father Prior noticed that the water had acquired a beautiful fragrance.
He went to the father alchemist who traced the origin of this scent back to the "Garofilium Silvestre Caprese". That water became the first perfume of Capri.
Forgotten for many years, in 1948 the Prior of the Monastery discovered the old perfume formulas and by permission of the Pope, revealed them to a chemist, who created the smallest fragrance laboratory in the world and called it 'Carthusia'. Today the perfume tradition continues and limited production ensures the same methods used by the Carthusian monks are respected.