A classic English perfume house with a rich and varied history, William Penhaligon was a Cornish barber who owned a barbershop next door to Jermyn Street’s finest tailors. William Penhaligon received the royal warrant and trimmed the Shah of Persia’s beard. At a time when one’s toilette was of primordial concern and to be a gentlemen was an affair of great application. The barbershop eventually became a perfumery in 1870, launching his first fragrance in 1872 and simply known as Penhaligon’s.
This fragrance was recreated regularly for its many fans until the store was destroyed in The Blitz of 1941. Despite the store being destroyed, the fragrance house endured and was honoured with a Royal Warrant by the Duke of Wellington in 1956 for manufacturing toiletries.
Penhaligon’s (almost) 150 year heritage is at the heart of everything they create. Consistently working on innovative fragrances that tell a story, taking inspiration from the unexpected and the precious Penhaligon’s archives. True to William’s founding principles, they continue to create products of the highest quality imbued with the elegance of their heritage and which inspire them every day. They continue to deliver their story with integrity, personality and sophistication.